The following is copied from an email from Anne-Marie Fyfe. If you’re at a loose end this week, why not have a go?
troubadour international poetry prize 2020
judged by mona arshi & mark doty
- first prize £2,000
- second prize £1,000
- third prize £500
- plus 20 commendeds
- plus Zoom reading with mark doty & mona arshi for all winning & commended poets
submit via email by mon 28 sep 2020
- Mark Doty is an American poet & memoirist, winner of Stonewall, Robert Creeley, Lambda Literary & National Book Awards & a former Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets. His books of essays include Still Life with Oysters and Lemon, memoir includes Firebird & Dog Years, & his 13 poetry collections range from Turtle, Swan (1987) to Deep Lane: Poems (Norton, 2015). His latest publication is What is the Grass: Walt Whitman in my Life (Norton & Cape, April 2020).
- Mona Arshi worked as a Human Rights lawyer at Liberty before starting to write poetry: her debut, Small Hands won the 2015 Forward Best First Collection Prize, her poems have featured in Poems on the Underground & she was recently commissioned to write a programme on The Odyssey for BBC Radio 4’s Book of the Week. Her latest collection is Dear Big Gods (Pavilion Poetry, 2019).
judges will read all poems submitted
- Poems: Poems may be submitted from any country & must be in English, must each be no longer than 45 lines, must show title & poem only, must not show poet’s name, must be the original work of the entrant (no translations) & must not have been previously published; no text alterations accepted after submission; no limit on number of poems or number of subsequent submissions.
- Submission: Email only, no postal entries: email your poems as attachments (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf only) to firstname.lastname@example.org; include in email: Poet’s Name & Address, Phone Number, List of Titles, Number of Poems, Total Fees, & PayPal Receipt Number.
- Fees: £5/€6/$7 per poem (Sterling/Euro/US-Dollars only); payment via PayPal at www.coffeehousepoetry.org/prizes, no PayPal account required, all major credit cards accepted.
- Timeline: Submit by midnight (your local time) on Mon 28 Sep 2020; prize-winners will be contacted in week commencing Mon 16 Nov 2020.
- Acknowledgement/Results: Submissions acknowledged within 14 days of receipt; results posted on website after Mon 23 Nov 2020; judges’ decision is final; no correspondence entered into.